Hello, my beautiful chickpeas! Today’s recipe is a fun, homemade twist on a childhood classic. It can be packed with a lunch, or enjoyed as an after school (or anytime) snack. Let’s give a warm welcome to my Homemade Peach Applesauce! This homemade applesauce recipe is super easy to make, and may just become your favorite way to use up the extra apples and peaches in your kitchen.
All you need for this recipe is apples & peaches, and a couple other optional ingredients if you choose. Let’s get into it.
Inspiration for Homemade Peach Applesauce
A few years back I happened to have a bunch of apples in my kitchen when I stumbled upon a homemade applesauce recipe online, so I decided to try it out. I was shocked to realize how easy it was! Since then I’ve played with a number of different recipes, and eventually started putting my own twists on it and creating my own versions. Once I realized that I could add peaches for a slightly sweeter & brighter flavor, I was hooked.
When creating this recipe I wanted the base of the recipe to be the super basic version of my Homemade Peach Applesauce that I most often make, but I also wanted to give you a couple of optional ingredients to add if you’re wanting a slightly different twist. I also wanted to allow the natural sweetness of the apples and peaches to shine, so we don’t even have to add any additional sugar here! I hope you try this one out and love it as much as I do!
This homemade applesauce only has 2 required ingredients, and 2 optional ingredients. Nothing here should be shocking, but let’s chat about today’s stars!
- Honeycrisp Apple: I’ve tried this recipe with various types of apples, and Honeycrisp is my personal favorite! However, you can experiment with other apples here if you’d like. I suggest picking one that is sweet, refreshing, and juicy.
- Peach: adding peach to my applesauce was truly a game changer. It adds a brighter flavor and makes things a bit more interesting.
- Maple syrup: an optional ingredient if you want it a little sweeter! The apple and peach honestly provide quite a bit of natural sweetness already, but just a tad of maple syrup is a delicious addition if you have a bit more of a sweet tooth.
- Cinnamon: if you’d like to go for a slightly “spiced” and cozier vibe, just a dash of cinnamon will go a long way! A delicious addition but definitely changes up the flavor profile, so it just depends on your mood!
How to Make Homemade Peach Applesauce
As always, full recipe can be found down below. But let’s go over the basics:
- Bring a pot to medium-high heat. Add your apple and peach.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, adding water as needed to prevent sticking
- Once cooked, toss the apple and peach into a blender. Blend until mostly smooth.
- Let cool, then refrigerate
Tips & Tricks
As always, I encourage you to follow my recipe as a guide but also feel free to play with it a bit to make it your own! Here are some ideas in case you are feeling a bit experimental:
- I personally like Honeycrisp apples the best for this, but feel free to experiment with your favorite apple! Just note that different apples will lead to slightly different flavors; typically the best apples for this will be sweet, refreshing, and juicy. Also note that results will be best if the apples are fresh and haven’t started to get mealy.
- Want even more spices than just the cinnamon? I like to keep it basic with the cinnamon when I’m in a spiced mood, but you could also add in nutmeg or ground ginger if you want to mix up the flavors a bit!
- I love to snack on this as a midday snack, but I also think it would be a great after-school snack if you’ve got an apple-loving kiddo! Or, if you have a lunch bag that can keep things cold, it would also be a fun addition to a packed lunch!
- This recipe makes a somewhat small amount (about 2 servings). You can absolutely double the recipe if you’d like a bigger batch, but please note that it will take longer for the apples and peaches to cook if you do this.
- Want more apple recipes? Check out my Strawberry Apple Cider Salad next!
Homemade Peach Applesauce
This Homemade Peach Applesauce is a perfect after-school snack, or packable contribution to your lunch! It is super easy and only takes 4 ingredients. The peaches add a little extra sweetness and a brighter flavor than a traditional applesauce, making this a fun twist on the childhood classic!
*Note that From Start to Finish is an estimate that includes 30 minutes to actually make the recipe, and then 45 minutes to allow it to cool to room temperature and 1 hour to refrigerate. If you want to enjoy it warm, this time will be significantly less!
1 Honeycrisp Apple; cored, peeled, and roughly chopped
1 peach; pitted, peeled, and roughly chopped
Optional: 1-2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
Optional: 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon
- Bring a medium pot to medium-high heat on the stovetop. Add just a bit of water to prevent sticking, and then your apple and peach to the pot.
- Cook your apple and peach for 10-15 minutes, or until your peaches have started to break apart and your apple can be very easily pierced with a fork (this time may vary a bit depending on the size of your apple and peach pieces). Add water as needed to prevent sticking. (Note that if you are doubling this recipe, this step will take longer since the apples and peaches are more crowded).
- Turn off the heat and add your cooked apples and peaches to a high speed blender. If using, add the optional maple syrup and cinnamon to the blender as well.
- Blend until mostly smooth (applesauce tends to have just a tad bit of texture, so we don’t want it 100% smooth). If your mixture is too thick, you may add splashes of water to the blender as needed.
- Allow your applesauce to come to room temperature, and then refrigerate. Best enjoyed cold, but can also be enjoyed warm if you prefer!
Stay joyfully balanced!