Hello, my lovely chickpeas! If you’ve been following me for a while, it probably won’t surprise you to hear that I am a big fan of hummus. I love using it as a dip with crackers or veggies, spreading it on sandwiches, or even thinning it down to create a salad dressing! Sometimes, though, I want to switch up my hummus to incorporate other fun and different flavors – which is exactly what this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is for!
This one takes longer to make than traditional hummus since we have to roast our peppers, but once that is done it’s super quick and easy! This one has a deep savory flavor and is perfect to have on hand as a dip or a condiment!
Inspiration for Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
As mentioned above, I’ve always been a big hummus fan. I’ve made the Classic Hummus from my free ebook many times, and I absolutely love it. However, sometimes I want to make things a little more interesting! I started experimenting with other hummus flavors recently, and this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus was a favorite!
I’ve had a number of other red pepper hummuses over the years, and honestly, they often don’t have a super strong roasted pepper flavor. I really wanted the flavor of those roasted peppers to shine, which is why this recipe calls for two entire peppers! It’s also a great way to sneak in some extra nutrition. And of course, mine is also oil-free. It’s also a very beautiful red color and would be the perfect addition to a party tray!
This ingredient list is probably about what you’d expect for a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, so no big surprises here! Let’s get into some of our ingredients:
- Red bell peppers: this is where so much of our flavor is coming from! Once we roast them they will be slightly sweet and slightly smoky – the perfect flavor combination for a great hummus!
- Chickpeas, tahini, and garlic: these are all pretty typical for a hummus, and they also pack in some protein and other great nutrients!
- Aquafaba: if you haven’t heard of aquafaba before, it’s the liquid in a can of chickpeas. It may sound a little odd, but this stuff is a great replacement for oil! It works perfectly in hummus recipes.
- Cumin & smoked paprika: these are going to boost that savory flavor and give our Roasted Red Pepper Hummus just a little more oomph!
How to Make Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Similarly to the ingredient list, this section shouldn’t be very surprising either! We like to keep things simple here at Joyful Balance. Here are the basics for today:
- Roast your bell peppers in the oven, giving them a flip halfway through
- Move the peppers to a bowl with a towel over it and let them steam
- Remove the stems, seeds, and charred skin
- Add your peppers and all other ingredients to a blender and blend until super smooth!
Tips & Tricks
Here’s some extra thoughts & ideas for you when you make this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus!
- Roasted bell peppers have a slightly sweet and slightly smoky flavor. The cumin and smoked paprika in this recipe allow the smoky and savory vibes to shine with just a touch of sweetness, which is what I was going for! However, you could also leave these out if you’d rather keep more of an equal balance between sweet and savory.
- The smokiness of this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is excellent when paired with vibrant veggies in a veggie sandwich! In my house we love to make sandwiches with sourdough bread, whatever greens we have in the fridge, avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes, some vegan cheese, and this hummus! It can really work with any combination of veggies though.
- For a quick and easy snack, keep this in your fridge throughout the week and pull it out to use as a dip with crackers and veggies! I’m a big fan of pairing it with cherry tomatoes for an afternoon snack.
- This would be a great nutritious option to offer at a party as a fun appetizer! Just sprinkle some extra paprika and a couple sprigs of parsley on top to make it even prettier! It will look beautiful and is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- If you have more chickpeas leftover after this recipe that you’d like to use, be sure to check out my Crispy Air Fried Chickpeas on the blog, or the Classic Hummus in my free ebook!
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus (Oil-Free!)
This Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is a more savory and slightly smoky twist on the traditional hummus we all know & love! This one takes longer to make overall than traditional hummus since we have to roast our peppers, but once that is done it’s super quick and easy! (Also totally worth the extra time!) Perfect to have on hand as a dip or a condiment.
*Note that “From Start to Finish” is an estimate that includes 70 minutes to preheat your oven AND roast and steam your peppers, followed by just 10 minutes of hands-on time.
2 medium red bell peppers
1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed, but save the aquafaba liquid)
2 Tbsp aquafaba (reserved from the can of chickpeas)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat, and place your whole red bell peppers on the prepared baking sheet. Place in the preheated oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip the peppers over. Return to oven and bake for another 20 minutes, or until they are blackened and blistered. (Roasting time may differ slightly based on your oven and the size of your peppers).
- Remove from oven and carefully place the peppers in a bowl. Cover the top of the bowl with a cloth or towel to trap some of the steam in. Let the peppers sit and steam about 20 minutes.
- Once the peppers are cool enough to handle, remove the stems, seeds, and skins. I like to do this by simply using my fingers to peel off as much of the blistered skin as possible (this should come off relatively easily), and then slicing the peppers vertically from top to bottom so that they become one long strip. Slicing them this way should allow you to easily pull the stem and most of the seeds off. Wipe away any remaining seeds, then discard the skins, stems, and seeds.
- Add both roasted red peppers to a high powered blender. Add all other ingredients. Blend until super smooth! Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Serve as you wish and enjoy!
Stay joyfully balanced!