Hello, my chickpeas! Today’s recipe is still somewhat following the theme of holiday-recipes, but it could also be made as a nutritious and flavorful side at any time of the year. Today we are learning how to make my Smoky Roasted Brussels Sprouts!
The recipe for these guys has actually been in my back pocket for over a year, but it just didn’t make it into the blog rotation until now. I love making this one as a simple but flavorful side when I want to add some veggies to my dinner plate, and I also think it would be a great addition to your Christmas or holiday table! Let’s get into it.
Inspiration for Smoky Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Honestly, I don’t have a long drawn out story for this one. I just believe that Brussels sprouts are underrated, and I wanted to create a delicious roasted version of them to show how yummy they can be!
I’ve made these for a number of friends who said they previously NEVER enjoyed Brussels sprouts, and this recipe changed their minds. So I’d say that makes it a winner! In addition to packing in some great savory and slightly smoky flavors, this recipe also doesn’t take much time to prep and is relatively quick to make.
Nothing super wild today. Let’s talk about some of our ingredients:
- Brussels sprouts: Obviously. These are available at many grocery stores year-round, but are technically seasonal from August-March. So right now is a great time to incorporate them into your meals!
- Tamari: this will provide us with some umami flavor. This is one of my go-to ingredients for any roasted vegetable dish!
- Liquid smoke and smoked paprika: this is where that smokiness is going to come from!
- Maple syrup: for just a bit of sweetness to balance out our umami and smoky flavors.
- Lime juice, garlic powder, oregano, salt: for an extra bit of oomph in our flavor department.
- Tahini: this will make our dressing just a little bit creamy, and will help the sauce to stick to the Brussels sprouts more evenly.
How to Make Smoky Roasted Brussels Sprouts
This one is pretty simple! Keep scrolling for the full recipe, but here are the basics:
- Roast your Brussels sprouts in the oven
- Remove from oven, give them a flip, and roast a bit longer
- Mix together your smoky dressing ingredients
- Lastly, toss the Brussels sprouts in the dressing and serve!
Tips & Tricks
- Many of my recipes can very easily be made ahead of time and reheated, but these unfortunately do not fall into that category as they loose their crispiness if they sit overnight. You CAN reheat them, but they aren’t nearly as good the next day. They are best when eaten super fresh, so I recommend making them right before you want to eat!
- If you’re a fan of the smoky dressing that we use in this recipe, get creative with it and make extra to use on other things! Try using it on other roasted veggies, or even as a smoky salad dressing.
- This recipe would be perfect to share on a holiday table – but keep in mind that it only makes about 3 side-servings worth of Brussels sprouts. So for a larger group you may want to make a bigger batch by doubling the recipe!
- Are you a Buddha bowl fan? These would be a fabulous addition to a fall or winter inspired Buddha bowl! Pair them with some rice, greens, plant-based protein, and other delicious veg!
- Looking for other delicious potential holiday dishes? Check out my Vegan Mushroom Gravy or Veggie Lentil Wellington next!
Smoky Roasted Brussels SproutsCourse: Sides
These Smoky Roasted Brussels Sprouts are the perfect side dish when you want to add some extra nutrition AND flavor to your plate. These would also be a perfect addition to a holiday dinner! Super easy to prepare, and done in 35 minutes. Enjoy!
*Note that “From Start to Finish” includes time required for all recipe directions, and assumes that you will prep your ingredients (which mostly consists of halving your Brussels sprouts) while your oven preheats in step 1.
3 cups Brussels sprouts – ends trimmed, loose outer leaves removed, and cut in half
1/2 Tbsp tamari
1/2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1/2 Tbsp tahini
1 tsp lime juice
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp oregano
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Place your halved Brussels sprouts, cut side down, on the prepared baking sheet in one single layer. Roast in preheated oven for 12 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven (DON’T turn the oven off yet!). Using a spatula (or other kitchen utensil of choice), carefully flip all Brussels sprouts so that the cut sides are now up. Return to oven and roast another 7 minutes, or until they have reached your desired level of crispiness.
- While the Brussels sprouts are roasting, create your smoky dressing by combining all other ingredients in a small jar. Place the lid on the jar and shake until ingredients are evenly incorporated. (Alternatively, you could simply combine in a bowl by whisking with a fork.)
- Once Brussels sprouts are done roasting, add the Brussels sprouts and dressing to a medium-large bowl. Toss together until Brussels sprouts are evenly coated in the dressing.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Stay joyfully balanced!