Hello my wonderful chickpeas! Today we are learning how to make one of my all time favorite party foods: The Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip! This recipe would be an excellent choice as a Super Bowl dip for any game day parties, or to bring & share at a holiday gathering. It’s got those familiar 7 layer dip flavors that we all know and love, but is dairy-free and fully plant based!
On top of our main 7 layers, this recipe also includes a couple optional layers you can add if desired. I can’t wait for you to bring it to your next party (or just make it for yourself, I don’t judge!). Let’s get into it!
Inspiration for The Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip
As a kid, 7 layer dip was ALWAYS on our table when we hosted Christmas parties. As I grew up I learned that it was also often at game day gatherings, and it became one of my favorite parts of game day (I was never a major sports kid). It was always a comforting and familiar go-to for me at social events.
When I went vegan a few years ago, I knew I needed to make my own dairy-free version! This year I have a goal of sharing more vegan party food recipes with you, so it felt like the perfect time to release it.
If you search for 7 layer dip recipes online you will find many different versions. Most of them include some combination of beans, sour cream or cream cheese, guacamole, and usually some veggies and cheese on top. However, the exact 7 layers differ a bit between recipes. It was my goal when creating this recipe to take out all of the dairy but none of the flavor, and I have done just that! Be sure to try this one out as a delicious Super Bowl dip for game day this year!
There are a few ingredients in this recipe that you can choose to make yourself OR use store bought versions of. Take whatever route most speaks to you based on your preferences! Here are the basics of what we are working with today.
- Vegetarian refried beans: to make up the base layer of our delicious dip! Not all refried beans are veg-friendly (they often use lard). However, the ones that do not use lard are often specifically labeled as “vegetarian” and tend to typically be vegan as well. Keep an eye out for that vegetarian label and check the ingredients list to be sure!
- Plain coconut yogurt, vegan mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, and raw cashews: these all come together to basically replace the more traditional sour cream or cream cheese layer. The coconut yogurt gives off tangy sour cream vibes, the cashews thicken up our mixture a bit and make it creamy, and the rest are for general delicious flavor!
- Guacamole: you know your girl loves guacamole. I couldn’t do a 7 layer dip without it! You can make your own or use store bought.
- Chunky salsa: again, choose if you’d rather use homemade or store bought! Totally up to you! You can also decide how spicy you want your salsa to be (I use mild salsa for this).
- Olives: A strong but delicious flavor! As a kid I would always pick these off, but as an adult I love them. I love the way they complement the rest of the dip.
- Cherry tomatoes: for some extra fresh veg and flavor!
- Green onions: a fun topping to add a little bit of flavor and color!
How to Make The Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip
As always, full recipe down below! But here are the basics:
- Blend together your coconut yogurt, vegan mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, and cashews.
- Assemble your Vegan 7 Layer Dip by layering the refried beans, coconut yogurt mixture, guacamole, salsa, olives, cherry tomatoes, and green onion.
- Let set in fridge if desired to firm up a bit, or serve immediately!
Tips & Tricks
I personally love this recipe the way it is. But, as usual, I also have ideas of ways you can make it your own! Let’s go over some of them.
- If you want to lean more into the cheesy vibes, you could replace the coconut yogurt mixture with this Quick Vegan Queso instead!
- This recipe is not intended to have a ton of heat to it. However, if you like things spicy then feel free to use a spicy salsa, or top with jalapeños! These are both easy ways to kick up the heat.
- This recipe is intended to be a fun vegan party food – so bring it to whatever your next social gathering is! It would be great as a Super Bowl dip, a potluck contribution, or for a holiday party.
- Have leftovers? What a great problem to have! I love adding a couple scoops of this Vegan 7 Layer Dip to burrito bowls when I have extra!
- Looking for more vegan party foods? Check out my Roasted Red Pepper Hummus or my Quinoa Tabbouleh next!
The Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip
This Ultimate Vegan 7 Layer Dip is perfect for holiday gatherings or game day! It’s got those familiar 7 layer dip flavors that we all know and love, but is dairy-free and fully plant based! Serve this with tortilla chips and it is sure to wow your guests. (For an oil-free version, be sure to use the Easy Vegan Mayo linked in the recipe below!)
*Note that From Start to Finish is an estimate that includes 20 minutes to soak your cashews and 15 minutes to complete the recipe. If you are making extra things from scratch – such as the vegan mayo, the salsa, or the guacamole, you may need to account for extra time.
3/4 cup plain coconut yogurt (OR vegan sour cream)
1/8 cup vegan mayo (you can make your own Easy Vegan Mayo, or use store bought)
1 Tbsp lime juice
1 Tbsp taco seasoning
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in very hot water for 20-30 minutes
(OR in room temperature water overnight )
3/4 cup vegetarian refried beans*
1 cup guacamole
1 cup chunky salsa
1/4 cup olives, sliced
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 stalk green onions, chopped
Optional additional toppings/layers: cilantro, vegan cheddar cheese shreds, shredded lettuce, chopped jalapeño, drizzle of vegan sour cream
- Drain your soaked cashews. Add the plain coconut yogurt, vegan mayo, lime juice, taco seasoning, and cashews to a high powered blender. Blend until smooth (this may require you to pause a couple of times and scrape down the sides as needed).
- In a medium glass dish (or another container of choice), use a spatula to spread the refried beans along the bottom of the dish. On top of that, layer the coconut yogurt mixture, followed by the guacamole, then the salsa. Top with the olives, cherry tomatoes, and green onions. Add on any other additional toppings you’d like, as desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips, or let set in the fridge for a bit before serving if you’d like the layers to firm up a bit more. Enjoy!
- *Vegetarian refried beans: Not all refried beans are veg-friendly (they often use lard), but the ones that do not use lard are often specifically labeled as “vegetarian” in the stores and tend to typically be vegan as well – so look for that vegetarian label and check the ingredients list to be sure!
Stay joyfully balanced!