Hello my chickpeas! Whether you are participating in Veganuary this year and are trying to eat more plant based foods, are veg-curious and just came by to check out some recipes, or are fully vegan, you are sure to love these Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits! These are INSANELY good and give off cheddar biscuit vibes without any of the dairy. They are made with my Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce and a few other basic ingredients, and make a great side with a hearty dinner or even with a savory breakfast.
This recipe is a personal favorite of mine and I am so excited to introduce it to you. Now let’s get cooking!
Inspiration for Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits
To be honest… these were kind of an accidental discovery, mixed with a lot of experimenting. A few months ago, a friend and I experimented in the kitchen a bit and tried making bagels. Our experiment didn’t really work, but for some reason the flavor of our “bagels” gave us cheddar biscuit vibes. That was of course not what we were going for, but they tasted decent.
Soon after that I released my Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce on the blog, and suddenly had an idea… what if I took inspiration from our somewhat-failed bagel experiment, and added in my vegan cheese sauce? I adjusted the original bagel recipe to turn it into biscuits, added my cheddar cheese sauce, and was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked!
I debated what to call these, because they also remind me a bit of savory scones. But after doing some research (and having multiple people try them to give me their opinions), I decided that they best fit the category of drop biscuits. This dough is not meant to be kneaded or rolled (as it often is with scones) – instead we simply drop scoops of the dough onto a baking tray to bake them! I am so pleased with how this recipe came out and I can’t wait for you to try it.
This recipe is basically a combination of cheddar cheese sauce, coconut yogurt, flour, and seasonings. Let’s look at everything we are working with today!
- Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce: for those cheddar cheese vibes!
- Plain coconut yogurt: in the original bagel experiment we used coconut yogurt, which made our end result a bit fluffy and gave it a somewhat tangy flavor. These were the aspects that I believe gave it “cheddar biscuit” vibes, so that was the main thing I brought over into this recipe! Culina is my favorite brand of coconut yogurt for this.
- All purpose flour: flour is always necessary for baked goods!
- Baking powder: to get our biscuits to rise!
- Garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and salt: for a bit of an extra flavor boost.
- Green onions: these are optional, but they give our Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits a beautiful pop of green and some extra flavor!
How to Make Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits
This recipe is honestly pretty simple! As always, full recipe down below. But let’s go over the basics:
- Preheat oven.
- Add all ingredients (except green onion) to a bowl and mix to combine.
- Mix in green onion.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop balls of dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 25-27 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
Baking recipes are a bit more particular than cooking recipes, so I wouldn’t go crazy changing this one. But I of course still have some fun ideas for you!
- The dough for these is EXTREMELY sticky. I recommend washing the dishes you use while making these right away. (If you don’t get around to it right away, just let the dishes soak for a bit before washing!)
- These have been a crowd pleaser with all of my omnivore friends – I think they would be a great contribution to a potluck gathering or a friendsgiving! This recipe makes 6 cheddar biscuits, so depending on the size of your group you may want to make a double batch for this!
- Most of my recipes are WFPB friendly (meaning they don’t use higher-processed ingredients such as all purpose flour or oil). These are in fact oil free, but I have not yet tested them with an alternative flour, so they are not fully WFPB. I plan to test them with a WFPB flour option in the future and will update this recipe to reflect the results when I do!
- Enjoy these with a savory breakfast, or as a side with a hearty dinner! I would personally love to pair them with my Instant Pot Veggie Chili, or my Sweet Potato Kale Soup!
- You could also pair these with a fun sauce, like my Easy Homemade Marinara Sauce, as an appetizer!
Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits
These Vegan Cheddar Drop Biscuits are the perfect side to a hearty dinner or a savory breakfast! They are easy to make and don’t require any rolling or cutting of dough – just mix up the dough, drop it on the baking sheet, and bake!
*Note that From Start to Finish is an estimate that includes 30 minutes to make your Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce, and 45 minutes to prepare and bake the biscuits.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Add the Vegan Cheddar Cheese Sauce, plain coconut yogurt, flour, baking powder, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, and salt to a bowl. Use a spatula or large spoon and mix to combine. You can also mix by using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer, if desired. The dough will be VERY sticky, this is normal!
- Add your green onions and gently mix to combine using the spatula or large spoon.
- Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with a silicone baking mat. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop 6 large balls of dough onto the baking sheet, spacing them out at least one inch apart from each other.
- Place on the lower rack of the preheated oven and bake for 25-27 minutes, or until the tops have started turning a light golden brown.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool, and serve!
Stay joyfully balanced!